Sunday, September 1, 2013

Grandpa Ted's Perfect Cajun Mahi Mahi!


My boys LOVE fish!  

They saw the fish on the counter thawing and they all exclaimed, "FISH!!!"  "What kind is it?"  When told what it was, someone exclaimed, "Oh, I LOVE Mahi Mahi."  How many kids know what Mahi Mahi is compared to any other fish???

They had it in Hawaii and they still remember how yummy it was.

There is ONE reason, and one reason alone that these boys love fish ... and that has to do with Grandpa Ted, my Daddy.  Boy, does he know how to cook it!  Melt in your mouth ...

My Daddy has always loved fish.  I don't know his entire history with fish, but I was definitely introduced to it at an early age when he decided to raise fish on our property in New York.  Yep, I grew up in New York, in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains on 36 acres of awesome land.  We had a fresh water spring that ran 45 degrees year-round at 12 gallons per minute (I know this because of how many times I heard my Daddy say this to others). :-)  It was with this spring, that he (we) raised thousands of Coho Salmon, Atlantic Salmon, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout.

The fish started out in the master bathtub ... with the jets!  Oh, yes.  I'm not making this up.  As they grew, they were transferred to a big "tub" outside the kitchen window.  Finally, ponds were dug and a fish hatchery was built to contain them all.  Such memories ... 

That was years ago.  After relocating to Oregon years later, Daddy has to now satisfy his fishing interests by checking out the Oregon lakes and rives ... AND traveling all over the world.  And we have had the awesome privilege of eating the fish that Daddy has brought back from these trips to Alaska and other parts of the Pacific Ocean.  Where all have you gone, Daddy?

The key is ... FRESH.

And, a simple recipe:

Start out with a yummy bit of Mahi Mahi.  We've also used this same recipe with Rock Cod and Halibut.  Fillet by removing the skin with a sharp knife.  Mine was VERY dull ... 

Sprinkle both sides with Cajun Seasoning or whatever you have on hand.

Get your skillet HOT and add some Olive Oil.

Add some flour to a plate and add the fish to batter.  Don't you like my Corelle?

Turn or toss to coat.

It always tastes better when you have a little buddy working with you -- adding that "special" flavor.


How 'bout some flour on that nose.

Add the coated fish to your hot skillet and let cook for several minutes. Resist the urge to flip.




 Oh, he's so cute ...


 And, he thinks he's soooo funny!

After the fish looks fairly well cooked through, THEN you flip it ONCE and cook for maybe 2 minutes more on the other side.

 Voila!  Perfect Cajun Mahi Mahi that melts in your mouth.  The whole family will be asking for more - even the children!

2 comments:

  1. This is making me hungry...think I'll head to Central Market for some fresh fish!
    It was fun reading your story and all the memories of your Dad's fishing adventures. Wish I would have known your family when I was living in Upstate NY near the Adirondacks! (I was there from 1957-1977)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great memories going to Prince Edward Island when we were both 16! I remember well the "fish chores" that were so fun for me and so old hat to you!
    I love you,
    Carla:)

    ReplyDelete